Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Teacher Appreciation

This week is Teacher Appreciation week. I forget its coming every year, but it always comes at the perfect time. May is filled with EOGs, 4th quarter assessments, summative assessments, Spring Fever, etc. Not to mention Mother's Day projects, PTA meetings, parent orientation for next year's class and kindergarten screening day for next year's class...you get the point. With all the craziness I sometimes forget why I teach. I start to count the days till the end of year...when really it is too soon to do it.
Then I come into work on Monday and each of my students came in with a flower for me! They walked in with a proud smile and a flower. I could tell how excited each of them were. They clutched the flower in their tiny little hand and said "This is for you Ms. Halsey!!" It's a flower!" (just in case I didn't know) My class mom came in with a huge vase and arranged them as the kids came in. All together they looked beautiful!!! I also got some really thoughtful cards from parents. Today my c lass mom organized a catered lunch for all the kindergarten teachers. Not only did we eat delicious food, but we also got to eat WITHOUT our students. Parent volunteers came in and took our students to lunch and we got to eat with other adults!! Imagine that! I did not open one milk or ketchup packet. I did not clean up one spill or remind one student to close their mouth while chewing. I did not eat corn dogs with canned peaches or pizza left over from Monday!!!! Needless to say it was nice, very nice. So, I like teacher appreciation week. I know that it is just one more thing for you moms, but please understand that we really do enjoy it! We often really under appreciated-so this week really means a lot. Now I have the motivation to get through to the end of the year (without loosing it). To all my teacher friends-I think you're great. Keep up the great work. What we do is so important!!!

No comments: